Art - Culture - Community
The mission of the Arts of the Pamlico (AOP) is to provide cultural opportunities through initiation, support, and presentation of artistic programs in Beaufort and the surrounding region. It is a goal of the AOP to present a wide range of educational, entertainment, and cultural programs, and to encourage the same by advancing and supporting the efforts of local artists, arts organizations and arts businesses throughout the region.
AOP is one the oldest arts councils in the state. With a 45-year history of serving its rural eastern NC with its diverse community encompassing a range of incomes, professions and interests. Housed at the historic Turnage Theater, constructed originally as a vaudeville theater in the early 1900’s and expanded in the early 1920’s, this community jewel has become the hub for community based arts and culture activities.
FY 15-16 Impact
- 45,000 people visiting AOP & Washington
- 10,000 tickets sold
- 700+ original works displayed
- 370 members
- 50 stage events
- 37 hours/week added to increased access
- 25 days of youth performing camps
- 8 gallery exhibitions of adults, members and fine art
- 5 days of adult art classes/workshops
AOP programs, theater and gallery spaces are supported by funding from private and public sources. Sources in the last fiscal year inlcuded local government, Major Gift Campaign, corporate support, memberships, ticket sales, fund raisers, facility rentals, concession sales and endowment/investment income
Vision for 2016-17
To grow the use of the AOP home to support the burgeoning number of active and emerging artists, reach unserved local populations with high quality arts and cultural programming, and build a model rural cultural arts center that will stimulate arts education and arts and cultural job creation that will contribute to the local economy and tourism industry in rural eastern North Carolina.
To support the vision, in the next fiscal year AOP will strive to
- Create partnerships with local state & national arts and cultural resources to expand programming.
- Diversify theater-based services to meet community interest with affrodable, fresh programming.
- Engage new patrons of the arts in supporting & attending arts and cultural events.
- Expand community engagement & volunteer base.
- Expand reach of services across the county & region.
- Grow educational services for children & adults.
- Increase arts & cultural programming at the Turnage Theater and across Beaufort county.
- Launch a robust menu of children’s programming.
- Secure resources to maintain the historic theater & explore how to utilize the original vaudeville theater.
- Support the use of the arts to support helping children and adults with diverse needs.
- Update its strategic plan in concert with expert consultation from national and state arts leaders.
- Upgrade programming & operating technology tools, equipment and software.