School of the Arts
AOP offers arts for adults through our School of the Arts providing art experiences, workshops and more!
View the SoA calendar of events
Follow us on Facebook for the latest news
- Mondays Noon – 3 PM Open Studio for Artists – all mediums and levels, simple networking, production time in the Turnage Gallery No reservations required.
- Thursdays 9 – 10 AM Art of Tai Chi, $10 sessions or 6/$50, on the Turnage Theatre stage with Eric Humphries. Pay at the door.
- TBA Valentine’s Day Necklace – Weave beautifully understated waxed linen knotless netting over a hand crafted, wonderfully irregular pottery heart, that mimics natural stone. $25
- 3/17 & 18 – Pamlico Writers Group Conference. Keynote on 3/17/16. Workshops on 3/18/16. For more information click here.
- 3/25 – Mother’s Day Gift – So adorable, and fast and easy! Craft wire is used to randomly weave teeny tiny bird’s nest, with gorgeous natural freshwater pearls masquerading as eggs. $35 with locket, $25 without locket.
- 4/8 – Lace Window Necklace – Learn to weave a beautiful layered weaving in a pottery window of your choice. Lots of colorchoices and different shapes of windows available. $30
- 4/18 – 4/20/17 – Film & Theatre Production – Workshop participants (older youth and adults) will be during a three morning series lead by Jennifer Woolard of Big Turtle Productions to gain exposure and learn the hands-on skills regarding the basic equipment for recording and editing video and sound. This would include the creation process from the writing and preproduction stage. $100 fee. Class limited to 25 participants. Pre-registration required. Contact AOP for details.
- 5/6 Vacation Accessory – Learn to make a dawstring pouch using waxed linen and the ancient art of Naalbinding. $22
- Uncommon Couture – coming in spring 2017
AoP is in the process of building a menu of education opportunities to be offered at AoP.
In addition, local and online options are available including…
Online Options• Beaufort County Community College
Beaufort County Community College offers courses in a variety of fields for continuing education, distance learning and online programming. Art Appreciation and Music Appreciation are just a few of the course offered. Click here for more information.
• East Carolina University, Greenville
Pirate Nation stands strong behind their arts programming. The university is widely recognized for presenting quality visual and performing arts to multiple audiences. Fore more information on ECU’s courses, degrees and presentations, click here.
• University of North Carolina Wilmington
UNCW’s Office of the Arts serves the UNCW campus and the Wilmington community by shining a spotlight on the intellectual life of the campus through diverse and unique cultural programming. The Office of the Arts curates the UNCW Presents Series, manages Kenan Auditorium, and advocates for the arts on UNCW’s campus and in the Wilmington community, in collaboration with the five academic arts departments and community partners. UNCW’s Office of the Arts participates in the cultural life of the region as a member of the NC Presenters Consortium and Arts North Carolina. For more information, click here.
• North Carolina Museum of Art
Did you know the NC Museum offers online courses for students throughout North Carolina? High school students can learn about game design, fashion and other exciting topics through the North Carolina Virtual Public School,. Successful completion of Art | is required for all of our courses. Students can give their school guidance counselor the course codes to register for these courses.
For more information about the courses and related teen programs offered at the Museum, click here.